There are several different tactics you can use in your local search engine optimization. By implementing all of these tactics, you have a better chance of getting your website listed with the top search engines. Here are the most important ones:
1) Submit your website to the web directories. Getting listed in the web directories is not a guaranteed way to get top listing, but it helps. If you truly want to get a good local listing, then submit your site to the directories. There are many of the various directories online. Many large cities have several city directories. By getting listed in them, you can get picked up by the search engines in a relatively timely manner.
2) Get listed in the search engines. You’ve heard that search engines are the number one referral source. It is important to make sure that you accomplish proper optimization for search engines. By getting listed in the search engines, you assure that your website will be found by surfers, and you will get the opportunity to get your website ranked as well.
3) Place keywords on web pages. Content is important. When writing the content for your website, make sure that you use the keywords that you’ve chosen. Search engines look for the keywords throughout the content of the website to help them determine how to rank the website. Just be certain that you don’t use the keywords too frequently.
4) Use link popularity. Usually a link to your website is like a vote of confidence for your website. The more votes you have, the higher your ranking will be. Although it can be a little tricky to get more votes than your competitors, it is definitely possible. Try to contact the sites that are already linking to your competitors and ask for a link.
5) Build traffic. You can’t make money with your website if no one knows it exists. By building traffic, you are creating a recommendation from one website to another. If your website is well recommended, you will see a corresponding increase in your website visitors.
6) Exchange links. Perhaps you have a website that compliments that of another site that is quite popular. Why not exchange links? Builder websites link to other builder websites. You link to their website and receive a link from them. This type of program is a good way to increase traffic to your website.
7) Meta tag and keyword research. This is a procedure that can yield you a great deal of valuable information. You need to research the appropriate keywords that are used most frequently by people when they search for items that are similar to your website. These keywords are vital to your listings and important for your ranking in the search engines.
8) The search engine. Designing your web site to make it user friendly and keep the average web page size below 25k will improve your search engine ranking. The actual search engine algorithm is still top secret, but research has revealed some of its elements. One of the elements of the algorithm is the number of visits a page has. The longer a visitor stays on a page the higher the listing the search engine will rank that page. Also you should make sure that you have a correct internal link structure that is using correct anchor text and related words in the link. Very important is to make sure you have a title tag on each page of you site that is related to the content of the page and of the page title should be similar to the content of the page title.
9) Search term research. As early as possible you should take advantage of the free tools that are available to find related keywords to the content of your site. Use these tools to find the largest list of search terms that are related to your site. By using these tools you will not spend extra time that trying to learn for free but you will find what people are looking for.
10) Keep your site fresh. Search engines look for fresh content.